Image Map

Saturday 5 April 2014

Laura Bee's Knitwear Design Workshop review


Knitwear Design Workshop

I have been knitting since the age of 16 I studied textiles in 6th form and I've always had a love of craft. I started off knitting swatches from my knitting for dummies book which I have been turned into a blanket. I then wanted to get better and try harder techniques, I started my first project when I was 18 (I think)it was a blue cardigan I got from a magazine. It look me long time to complete, I would be up all night knitting the sleeves saying "Just one more row" while my Mum's telling me to go to bed! Eventually I finished it, nevertheless it was hideous and I never wore it! My next big project after that was a Christmas present for my Dad, a jumper. He LOVED it, he still wears it to this day! I'm so proud of it.  

Now I want to make make something for myself that won't be hideous and that I can be proud of when people say "oo I like your jumper where did you get that from?" I can then say "I MADE IT- CHECK ME OUT!"

So after searching and searching on the internet, library and bookstores, I gave up I couldn't find anything to help me! Then a couple of weeks ago I searched again and it popped up on Google (I swear it was never there before!) Shirley Paden- knitwear design workshop! I squeaked! bought it straight away and anticipated its arrival! It's AH-MAZING! 



first step is to the sketch a design or two or three, work through the worksheets that help build on the design. 





Shirley Paden shows you how to design different garments such as the classic silhouette, dropped shoulders, double-taper, single-taper and reverse-taper. There are schematics for jumpers, cardigans, dresses and skirts. Every so often there is a math check (keep your calculator handy). She will teach you how to make and check a gauge correctly (something I'm still quite inpatient about). There is information about different fibre and wool and whether to use man made or animal? There are an number of easy to follow worksheets explaining the essential areas to measure and another explaining about ease. 

This book is brilliant it has every design possible to make your dream jumper, cardigan, dress or skirt. I'm going to be using this book to make mine so I think you need to buy this book and start making yours too!! 

keep in touch ill be keeping you up to date on my design processes! 

keep crafting 

Laura Bee X X






No comments:

Post a Comment